Lip Balm Badge
Discover Science and Technology
By Makayla Russell, Butterfly Troop 159
Penguins: do 3 requirements including the 2 starred:
_____*1. What is lip balm and why to people use it? Why should you never eat lip balm or lick too much of it?
_____*2. Try 2 different flavors of lip balm. Which do you like better? Try lip balm from two different companies such as Chapstick and Burt's Bees. Which did you like better?
Otters: do 4 requirements including the 2 starred:
_____*1. Do Penguin requirements 1 & 2.
_____*2. What is the difference between lip balm, lip gloss and lipstick?
Dolphins: do 5 requirements including the 2 starred:
_____*1. Do Otter requirements 1 & 2.
_____*2. Learn the history lip balm (like who made it, why did he/she make it)
Butterflies: do 6 requirements including the 2 starred:
_____*1. Do Dolphin requirements 1 & 2
_____*2. What the ingredients are in most lip balms? What do the ingredients do? Which are for flavor or smell and which help moisturize or protect your lips? What ingredients should you avoid? What ingredients should you look for?
Eagles do 7 requirements including the 2 starred:
_____*1. Do Butterfly requirements 1 & 2
_____*2. Learn about oral herpes (cold sores) and why you should not share your lip balm with others.
Owls: do 9 requirements including the 2 starred:
_____ 1.* Do Eagle requirements 1 & 2.
_____ 2.* Teach someone how to do a skill from this badge or teach some knowledge about this badge to someone. You can teach kids, your spouse, seniors, anyone, just as long as you are sharing your new found knowledge. If for some reason you cannot teach what you have learned to someone else, you may choose an additional 2 optional requirements instead.
- Make your own lip balm
- Make a lip balm using natural dyes (beet juice, grape juice, etc.)
- Make your own lip balm out of essential oils
- Learn what was the first flavoring of lip balm and what brand made it
- Make a list of at least 15 different lip balm companies.
- Learn about a career in the lip balm industry.
- Learn about lip balms in other countries. What flavors do they prefer? Do they make it differently?
- Create a craft using lip balm such as decorating one with patterned tape or gems.
- Design your own lip balm. What color and flavor would it be? What health properties would it have? What would the container look like?
- Participate in a community service project that involves lip balm such as donating toiletry bags to a local women's shelter.
- Conduct a survey of at least 20 people. What is their favorite brand of lip balm? What is their favorite flavor? What do they look for in a lip balm? How often do they use it? Share your findings with your family or troop.
- Conduct a price comparison of at least 10 different lip balms.
Disclaimer: Some Frontier Girls/Quest Clubs Web pages may provide links to other Internet sites for the convenience of users. Frontier Girls/Quest Clubs is not responsible for the availability or content of these external sites, nor does Frontier Girls/Quest Clubs endorse, warrant, or guarantee the products, services, or information described or offered at these other Internet sites. Use these sites at your own risk.
Great resource for older girls that incorporates science, writing, math and more that revolves around lip balm.